Toilets in News...
Updated as on February 2014:
This article claims that Sikkim is the first state to achieve in India to be declared as zero-open defecation state! We should congratulate the Sikkim stake holders and the citizens to make this happen:
TODAY is the WORLD TOILET DAY.
The Hindu report carries an alarming and stark picture of India in today's news. What else but open defecation!!! :(
Oct 2013: Outlook Magazine carries the COVER STORY about the biggest threat the Country is facing: Sanitation (or lack of it???)
THANK YOU OUTLOOK FOR BRINGING THE PROBLEM BELOW THE COVER ON THE COVER!
See these articles covered:
Another story from Mint Magazine from Wall street journal on the pen defecation problem
Mint Magazine brought this story on how growth is stunted due to open defecation!
See the story here
Udhagamandalam in Tamilnadu takes a lead!
Weird ways of deciding a toilet to be or not to be! In Namakkal! An article in THE HINDU dated 6th May 2013
Sowmya Sethuraman has written a very composed article in the HINDU dated 26-4-2013 on the efforts taken by Tamil Nadu Government, but we need to see how the public respond to such initiative.
Swaminathan Anklesaria Aiyar the economic adviser, writes that Urban slums are better off than the rural villages and takes a dig about the sanitation issue in these places in Times of India March 31st editorial pages
This author in the science and technology article appraises us about the new policy the Government has announced and asks if there are solutions to solve the open defecation problem! Here is the article!!!
Dear Mr. Balasubramaniam, here we are offering solutions to make one toilet a day with just 3 people, with no electricity needed! Are the policy makers reading this?
The editorial page today carries an important article on how open defecation spoils the child's growth in this thought provoking article
THE HINDU mentions the toilets built in Tambaram Municipality : City gets the first set of modular toilets
THE HINDU carries a news on the editorial pages compelling the think tanks to work on faster solutions for making toilets.
Response from manufacturers of toilets for Chennai corporation's toilet is poor.
Read this news from Times of India, Chennai edition.
There are some basic flaw in the technical specifications:
1. HDPE and Polycarbonate both are materials with total extreme characteristics. One is a low cost commodity plastic, low temperature resistance and environmental stress cracking resistance, where as the other material is too stiff, high temperature resistant, but of exorbitant cost, not making it viable for making toilets.
2. Both the designs do not allow hot air to vent out. The green house effect during summer would really cook a goose out of the person shitting inside ;)
3. The current bidders are selling square water tanks which they can make from their roto-moulding machines and have not given a serious thought on designing the right toilet.
And there are some serious flaws on the thought process of the think tank who placed this order from Chennai corporation:
1. Why should any business man invest on 2000 toilets on his won, also pay an EMD and maintain for 20 years?
2. What revenue would this generate for the successful bidder? The corporation maintains an answer that revenues come from advertising on the body of the toilet. HDPE is known for not holding any print or sticker well on them, and may be a poor substrate for advertisements to last long! Wonder who would spend on such a poor platform to advertise their wares!
3. Why on earth should a tender be floated for manufacturing, installation and maintenance? Is it not the Government's duty to provide this, a basic amenity, for their citizens?
Japanese toilet maker uses blue tooth to make the toilet ultramodern!
Jairam Ramesh again signs in a big way to launch toilet for all. See this article in THE HINDU dated 6th October 2012
Jairam Ramesh again adds ghee to the pyre by over reacting while expressing the need for toilets. See this article!
India looses Huge money due to less sanitation says this HINDUSTAN TIMES report
Microsoft founder Bill Gates says his Ultimate DREAM is to make toilets!
See this article from the HINDU!
And what more Minister for rural development and sanitation from Central Government, GOI, Mr. Jairam Ramesh claims more funds for toilets.
See this article from THE HINDU appeared in the subsequent week!
And the menace is not only in villages but also in BIG cities like Mumbai too!
See this article again in THE HINDU
Another interesting analysis of the Science behind the Total Sanitation Campaign has been well written by Mr D Bala in THE HINDU dated 21st June 2012. Here it is
DRDO claims it has solution for a BIO-TOILET in this article
Tamilnadu Government has ambitious plans. Read this article!
Chennai Corporation is modernizing its toilets! See the inauguration details in this news link
Jairam Ramesh claims there is some Hera-Pheri in building toilets!
Bill Gates announces awards for his dream toilet projects. See here
Those few who spearhead the campaign of sanitation for all are
We have entered the fray in Changemakers!